I plan and post an event for the week. Each event packs a creative flavor of cultural, social, and the most economical means of having fun. You decide whether you want to come along or not. Simple as that. What is the flavor of this week? Check out my posts!

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

WEEK 11: (play) - "Fish or Men" (the deleted scene)

Desiree
Those moments at the beach.

Madison
Yup. Every summer.

(Madison and Desiree walk to center stage beach, where they squat behind a crate, which is now the setting for the scene. This “mini stage” must be wide enough for the girls to explore the scene. They each put on a hand puppet, which is supposed to represent each of them as a little girl. Little Desiree wears an eye patch, pirate clothes, and holds a sword in one hand, a toy boat in the other. Little Madison has an oversized dress on, a thick curly wig, balloons as cleavage, and a mole on her cheek. As the puppet mouths move, Desiree and Madison make their voice sound like little girls.)

Spotlight on Desiree
(to audience) Those were some of our best times.

(she holds up Little Desiree, while Madison holds up Little Madison. Little Desiree jumps on the crate stage, peering through the bottom of a bottle as it were a telescope. Little Madison follows quietly behind her.)

Little Desiree
Stay ye back, wench! (puts up the sword to block LM from coming closer.) This is no place for a lass as lovely as you to be traipsing through! (trudges forward with big, heavy steps until she gets to the “town area” aka child forts made with blankets, chairs, pillows, etc. Stuffed animals sit around. One has a coconut for a head.) Oh, Sir Sir-a-lot. Leave this place! I’m here to claim this land. Okay, okay, you may take your belongings… (cuts off head) Oops, don’t forget this! You may need it later. (tosses coconut back at it, then starts to dance around victoriously.) Pillage and plunder, pillage and plunder! Pillage and plunder, pillage and plunder!

Little Madison
(runs to coconut man) Oh, papa!

Little Desiree
(out of character) No, Maddy! You’ve got it all wrong! Have you forgotten your character already? You’re supposed to be the wench I brought onboard to barter with the land folk. You in exchange for gold!

Little Madison
I don’t like this game, Dizzy. I want to be the pirate.

Little Desiree
Okay.

Little Madison
(excited) I can, Dizzy? Really? Really?

Little Desiree
Sure, knock yourself out. I’d prefer to be the cowboy instead.

Little Madison
Cowboys don’t run pirate ships.

Little Desiree
You’re right. They wouldn’t know where they’re going.

(They put on a hand puppet that has the opposite’s clothes)

Little Madison
Hey, Dizzy. Do you ever wonder why women couldn’t be pirates?

Little Desiree
Not really. We can be whoever we want to be. There’s no rule against it. Someday we’ll grow into ourselves, you know, like when our moms give us knickers that won’t fit us for another year.

Little Madison
I guess.

Little Desiree
Just you see. When you grow up, you’ll be famous!

Little Madison
I don’t want to be famous. I want to be… something. I dunno. But it’s not famous.

Little Desiree
I want to be… a woman of the sea! And marry a handsome pirate who can give me all the treasures of the world. He’ll dress in a long coat, wear a curly wig, and have a hook as a hand.

Little Madison
Sounds like you’re searching for Neverland.

Little Desiree
(giggles) And I’m sure you’ll be the beautiful one. You’re always so good at playing these girly roles.

Little Madison
Thanks.

(Lights fade as Desiree and Madison put down their puppets and return to the ship. Light falls back on Madison and Desiree, present day. Carmen is now at a fishing pole.)

Madison
You still hoping your pirate will come and sweep you off your feet?

Desiree
I dunno. I think a part of me still does.

No comments: