
I'm excited about this New Year. How appropriate to celebrate my first Chinese New Year with the first animal of the zodiac. And how doubly appropriate that the show I'm working on "Ni Hao Kai-lan" (a preschool show about a Chinese-American girl and her friends) premiered that day as well.
On the Menu:
- Mandarin oranges
- Dried squid
- Wontons - Crabby cream cheese/pork
- Wonton soup
- Fish - baked/fried
- Buddha's Delight - yes, I actually attempted to make it
- Stir fry noodles
I don't usually cook any kind of Chinese food aside from wontons. Most people brought over drinks, and we all shared in the holiday festivities. I did want to decorate, but I wasn't at work the past couple days so I couldn't "borrow" any of the decorations from my production team.
I was worried that people wouldn't have much to do. I mean, I planned the feasting, but other than that, I wasn't sure. I did my research and found some stories about how the rat climbed (or conned) its way up to being first on the zodiac. That was fun, although everyone was bashing on the two rats there, calling them words that connoted manipulative and underhanded actions. It was all in good fun, though. Besides that, I wasn't sure how to entertain my guests. I thought maybe a game of mahjong or Chinese checkers, or maybe a Chinese movie - drama or kung fu. Thought that might be overkill though. But people ended up playing the Wii, playing cards, playing guitar, and just talking and getting to know each other in general. Friends from all over came - from school, work, random friends, and friends of friends. Even my brother was there! I was excited about that. At the end of the night, I gave everyone who attended a Chinese envelope with some pennies inside, and of course a fortune cookie for good luck. (My roomies and I didn't clean till today because we didn't want to clean the good luck away.)
One thing, however, was that I also wanted to celebrate in honor of my grandmother Elsie. She's my Chinese grandma, and even though she doesn't know a word of Chinese, she's shed light on some good Chinese food and Chinese-American culture. She passed away this past Tuesday (which is why I didn't attend the Farmers Market this weekend.) God rest her soul. I am at peace knowing she's in a better place and remembering that she had a long and happy life, and a huge family that loves her dearly. I miss her so much. She raised my brother, cousin, and I in the summers till i was 12, and has been a huge inspiration on my life. She was such a strong and independent woman. I felt her soul descend on mine the moment she went to heaven. She is with me still, and our love will bind us forever. I love you, grandma. And I miss you...
----- STATISTICS -----
People attended: 16+ (better turnout than expected, and best ever!)
Time allocated: 4 hours
----- RATING ----- (out of 5 stars)
Food: 4 (My roomies and I did most the cooking. Thank you Amy for making the noodles. Thanks to everyone else for the drinks, dessert, etc.)
Overall Experience: 5 (first ever!!!)
Thank you everyone who attended! I had a lot of positive feedback about this event... it's even inspired me to do something more. Happy new year of the rat, everyone. May the year be prosperous!

Gong xi! Gong xi!
1 comment:
Thanks for inviting me Ro, I had fun. Keep practicing guitar cuz my ears are still hurting.
Post a Comment