It's hard to get out of work at a decent hour, so usually any weeknight event is a long one. I had hoped to save some time by shopping for groceries the night before, but of course I had to stop by market the night of the event to get some more food. I had never cooked German food before. Not knowing what to expect, I researched some 5 star German recipes on foodnetwork.com. The ones I chose were nothing fancy... just something quick to fix our bellies so we could focus more time on the game. My roommates did most of the cooking while I oversaw everything. Thank God for such helpful roomies. Friends... fortunately everyone was early or punctual. My friends surprise me sometimes. I felt bad, however, that the food was not all ready by the time they arrived. But many of them helped out, and I always love watching people come together to reach a specific goal. That's one reason I love food. Not only is it a good motivator, but it brings people together. If you ever say you're cooking, many who hear you automatically want to join you whether they know what you're cooking or not. And I'm not even a great cook, let alone a mediocre cook, and people come to eat at my table and I love it. Lovely guinea pigs. Mwahahaha... master plan to experiment on them and make something uber yummy! But I digress into flavor of the day mode... By 9:30 the food was finally done.
On the menu:
- Bratwurst with onions and sauerkraut
- Potato Balls
- Green Beans (canned)
- Cheese Blintzes
- Beer - Hefeweizen, of course!
The food was good, the company starving for food and starving to play the game. Good turnout - 10 people - especially for a rainy night. Food and company always make the house warmer.
As for Settlers... fun game. Lots of rules, lots of strategy. It reminded me of Monopoly in a few ways. Instead of houses and hotels, you have settlements and cities. Instead of money in and out of the bank, you trade wood, brick, sheep, wheat, and ore. You build roads and can call on soldiers to help you... Took me a while to understand how to play. I'm a slow learner at everything, what can I say? But after a while, I was starting to get it, and the other virgin settlers put up a good fight against the veterans as well, and now I want a rematch!
Night didn't end for many of us till 2am... so hard to wake up this morning.
----- STATISTICS -----
People attended: 10
Time allocated: 5 hours
----- RATING ----- (out of 5 stars)
German Food: 4 (5 for the Brats, 4 for potato balls, 3 for blintzes, but overall 4 rating because everyone came together to help.)
Settlers of Catan: 4 (Fun! I can see why it got Game of the Year Award. And now that I'm equipped with the knowledge of how to play, I will probably have a 5 experience next time... only because I'll be able to win!)
Overall Experience: 4.5 (I deducted .5 points because it was my fault things started so late. But a really fun night in!!!!)
No comments:
Post a Comment