I plan and post an event for the week. Each event packs a creative flavor of cultural, social, and the most economical means of having fun. You decide whether you want to come along or not. Simple as that. What is the flavor of this week? Check out my posts!

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

REVIEW on WEEK 11: Sweeney Todd


Sweeney Todd is not the typical musical we're used to... meaning no happy ending. True, it has its comedic moments, but it's dark and morbid nature may be one reason it's so appealing to audiences. I'd say I like most of the songs, though not enough to buy the soundtrack.

I was a bit distracted the first half. For one, the girl sitting two seats down from me had a laugh as loud as a banshee, and what's worse: she sang along to every song. I focused more on her than the performers. Aside from her, the actors on stage were also the orchestra. Now this grants another merit to this musical. They can sing, dance, act, AND play instruments. Truly talented people. But... with so many performers on stage at once, I'd look at them and lose focus on the actual scene. I'd see when they took a sip of water, if they knocked something over, the variety of instruments one performer could play, etc. During the second half, however, I was more intrigued by the amount of people being murdered and the relationship between the characters. Then, when the story unfolded and reached its climax... well, there was a twist - I won't say what - and just when I was really getting into it, it ended.

----- STATISTICS -----
People attended: 2
Time alloted: 3 hours

----- RATING ----- (out of 5 stars)
Musical: 4
Overall Experience: 4 (and there was no traffic to slow us down!)

For a professional review:
http://www.theatermania.com/content/news.cfm/story/10707

No comments: