I plan and post an event for the week. Each event packs a creative flavor of cultural, social, and the most economical means of having fun. You decide whether you want to come along or not. Simple as that. What is the flavor of this week? Check out my posts!

Sunday, December 21, 2008

WEEK 52: Dec. 23rd - Volunteering at the Soup Kitchen


Christmas to me is all about giving and sharing the love with family and friends. But what about those who don't have the love of family and friends with whom to share? What about those who can't afford to put on a Christmas party for their families? I've always wanted to volunteer in a soup kitchen, and I love helping the less fortunate, so what a great opportunity to give back to the community. We'll see a side much different from the culture of glitz and glamor that we constantly see in L.A.

WHAT: Volunteering at the Soup Kitchen
WHEN: Tuesday, December 23rd from 7:45am - 12:45 pm
WHERE: Hospitality Kitchen (aka. Hippie Kitchen aka Skid Row)- 821 E. 6th Street, Los Angeles
_____________
For more info: http://lacatholicworker.org/visiting-and-volunteering/soup-kitchen
From LA Catholic Worker's website:

"We are always looking for new volunteers to help us prepare and serve meals at our kitchen. You should wear clothes that you wouldn’t mind spilling some beans on.

Our soup kitchen, known commonly on the street as "The Hippie Kitchen" is located in the central city ghetto of L.A.’s Skid Row. With over ten thousand homeless, poor and marginally employed residents, this area, with it’s numerous street encampments and rescue missions, has been dubiously nominated "the homeless capital of the nation."
______________
I almost decided to take this last week off as sort of a "Holiday" week, but I want my 2008 Weekly Planning to go out with a bang! by doing something truly great for the community. I really hope you can make it out and share in the season of sharing joy with the world.

No comments: