I plan and post an event for the week. Each event packs a creative flavor of cultural, social, and the most economical means of having fun. You decide whether you want to come along or not. Simple as that. What is the flavor of this week? Check out my posts!

Friday, January 18, 2008

1/18/08: Flavor of the Day

Why do we divulge the most intimate parts of ourselves to strangers?

What exactly is a stranger? Is a stranger stranger than you or me? Does one know one's a stranger when one speaks to another? You may think I am a stranger, but I may think I am not a stranger to you. Where do you draw the line?

I draw many lines... I drew the line when I took a step closer to you and got to know you personally and started loving you. I draw lines at work, vector lines on some computer program that people refer to as "Illustrator." It just so happened I drew the line when I drew the line. I'm told I'm not supposed to draw lines since I'm not considered an "artist."

But what exactly is an artist? Is it as Wikipedia states?
["Wiktionary defines the noun 'artist' (Singular: artist; Plural: artists) as follows:
1. A person who creates art.
2. A person who creates art as an occupation.
3. A person who is skilled at some activity."]

From these "definitions" we are all artists, just as we are all human beings, are we not? For me, it's hard to describe, but I believe artists strive to define the world in terms of expressing their beliefs through visual stimulation, thus stimulating the viewer's mind to experience some sort of emotion. Art is a means of understanding the world and the universe... how things are interconnected, interwoven... emotions we all experience... the essence of being human and what it means to truly be human, to be alive. It's our realization of ourselves.

So.. once I "realize" myself then will I truly be a great artist! I mean, the best artists weather the harshest storms and overcome life's boundless obstacles. They experience the vast array of emotions so that they can better connect with the people and the world. Life is about connections. Art is about themes. Every culture, no matter how different, has similar themes in their stories. Life is about learning, growing, experiencing... Art is the means of providing a vessel to these abstractions.

I like art. Do you like art?

Please leave your opinions with me, not at the door. I want to hear your thoughts. Writing gives your thoughts a voice. Please comment. I like when people are on my side, but I also like to argue. Won't you please argue with me? Won't you please be my neighbor?

4 comments:

taichicheetah said...

People seem to have a need to categorize people so that they're one thing or another. God forbid that they be both. That's really hard to explain to some people.

You and I are both artists, yet that doesn't matter at work. We work with artists, we are not them. It's easier to define there because it involves a paycheck.

As far as the rest of the world, I think you first have to define what art is. I've found that every individual has at least a slightly different idea of what art is.

I mean, there are some really convincing lobbyists and telemarketers out there...could weaving a verbal web of deceit and lies be considered art?

perpetualpotential said...

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle

To me, a tangible example of art is bodybuilding. It takes time, a lot of patience and dedication to sculpt a masterpiece.

Just like how it helps you complete your stories, visualization and determination are key ingredients.

However the most critical ingredient to any type of art is Love. Without it, it would just be a shell of an a imitation, a chalky misconception that leaves you with a bitter aftertaste. *smack smack...*

You are an artist because you create, you imagine, you dream and most of all, you love.

Unknown said...

ars longa, vita brevis. a sculpted body will not last in perpetuity.

Andre said...

Being an Artist is a lifetime process.
It begins with the way you see things.
Then you want to express what you see and feel.
You try something, explore it, change it, rework it, destroy it, and start again.
Each time you discover something new about yourself.

Being an Artist doesn't stop with time or circumstances or job or age. It may earn you a lot of money, or non at all.
Its real value is to yourself.
A way of life.
But it's not a life for everyone.
Those who choose it, find the highs can be very high.
Just as the lows, very low. But one thing is certain.
Life is NEVER boring. And you can always look forward to change.