I plan and post an event for the week. Each event packs a creative flavor of cultural, social, and the most economical means of having fun. You decide whether you want to come along or not. Simple as that. What is the flavor of this week? Check out my posts!

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

REVIEW on WEEK 14: Drumming




What an energetic evening! We walked into REMO and saw a crowd of people sitting in a circle, banging on their drums with either their hands or little sticks. They seemed to strike the drum at the same time, and it sounded not only noisy and chaotic, but like the creation of one unique and distinct voice. Shoshana was already there. She goes there weekly and was the one who suggested this event in the first place. She showed us all the different drums we could chose from. I selected a medium-sized drum (I can't remember the name of the exact drum it was) and I grabbed a shaker in case my hands tired. And, yes, after a few minutes of smacking the drum, I had to switch to either sticks or the rattler because my hands were getting puffy and red. Shoshana taught me how to hit the drum in 3 basic forms - (1) striking the center with the entire palm, (2) striking half in the middle & half on the side of the drum, and (3) striking the side of the drum with the heel of the palm. A drum leader guided us. All we had to do was keep up with the beats. So much energy! Some even got up and danced in the center of the circle. I felt almost like I was in a tribe; just erase the walls surrounding us and add a bonfire. At the end of the night the energy changed from highly-charged conversational drums to a more spiritually calm energy. I want to go back and buy myself a drum. I was surprised at how much sound the little drums emitted compared to the larger drums. And since I bought a guitar, I can create a band that makes jungle rock music!!!! So excited....!

----- STATISTICS -----
People attended: 6
Time alloted: 2 hours

----- RATING ----- (out of 5 stars)
Overall Experience: 4.5 (even better since it was FREE!!!!)

At the end of the night we grabbed some authentic tacos from a taco stand. We had the usual carnitas and azada, but also tried the pastor and lengua (tongue). Fun times...

No comments: