
I went to the Lounge Theatre on Friday night with my cousin to watch a Preview show of "Sona Tera Roman Hess." I really didn't know what to expect from this play, but it sounded right up my alley when I read about it on Goldstar:
-----------------------------
From the Goldstar website:
Named for its four main characters, Sona Tera Roman Hess probes the lives of a family struggling to reconstruct itself in the aftermath of a crushing infidelity. Set against a backdrop of impending war, the play juxtaposes the charged atmosphere of adultery and incest with circus cousins who bring music, magic and predictions of the future.
Sona Tera Roman Hess gives us a window to a time that is bold and frightening, vivid and spectacular, fantastic and deeply resonating. In language that is in turn grandiose and quietly poetic, playwright Dennis Miles has redrawn archetypal characters, grasping for purpose in a world that has no place for them. With elements reminiscent of magical realism and Greek tragedy, Sona Tera Roman Hess is a story of surviving betrayal and rediscovering hope.
-----------------------------
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars!
I loved it! The gypsy/clown cousins turned the play into a whirlwind of fun and added humor to the otherwise drama-filled plot. Sona, Tera's mother, was by far the best and most fleshed out character, and the actress that portrayed her was phenomenal! It's a piece about finding hope and happiness in a time of war and defeat. We don't always have what we desire, but we're alive, and like Sona, the crazy old lady, would reiterate: "I never died!" and "I live forever!" Dreamy and magical, whimsical and clairvoyant, this play was one I won't forget! It possesses everything we (in my playwrights class) are taught a good play must have, especially the as-of-late, poetic device of earned lyric registry. I hope to someday write a play as great as this one.
No comments:
Post a Comment