
We all transformed into chefs and guinea pigs for the night. People made really interesting dishes. I thought some dishes would taste terrible, but they were pretty tasty for the most part. My chicken was a bit "off" for lack of a better word. But I'll explain what was in it anyway.
HAWAIIAN CHICKEN:
Marinate the chicken in one cup of Kona Coffee (Chocolate Macadamia flavor)
Add crushed pineapple, sliced coconut, garlic, macadamia olive oil, crushed macadamia nuts. (Basically I threw in anything I could find that was Hawaiian.)
Bake at 350 degrees for one hour, flipping at the 30 minute mark.
Taste: 3 of 5... The coffee was definitely kicking, and the garlic was overpowering. Next time, no garlic. Maybe add a hint of chocolate syrup if possible to go with the chocolatey hint of the coffee. And maybe lose the pineapple. Too many ingredients!
BACON-APPLE TARTS:
This was inspired by my normal apple pie recipe, plus bacon, Deane's favorite, inspired by Lou on Vine's pig candy. (I also made my own version of pig candy, btw... I called it pig candy.)
POTATO-CHEESE TORTES:
Same dough, just a potato and mozzarella filling. Yum! I think I'll put less sugar in this one though, since it's not supposed to be a dessert. Also, inspired by Elf Café, I placed my tart over some salad. You could also dip these in generous amounts of my dip (see below).
SPICY MEXICAN GREEN DIP:
I wanted to make an appetizer, and what better start than traditional bread and dip? For the dip, I included varied amounts of jalapenos (canned), fresh cilantro, fresh red onions, fresh garlic, and some olive oil and water. Salt and pepper sprinkled on top. Good and spicy, though I think it could have used more water.
As far as the other dishes, I can't remember every single ingredient or how it was made, but following is what I remember to be in these dishes (please correct me if I'm wrong.)
My cousin Laura cooked orange roughy fish with mint, basil, and currants. Yum! Looked fanciest. I guess it helps to have a boyfriend who can teach you how to cook! :)
Vay concocted a dish with all of her favorite things: the bottom layer was corn bread, the middle layer mashed potatoes, the next layer mac and cheese topped with crumbled sun chips and fried catfish! I say props for most original! And the taste was well-balanced.
Alan brought an appetizer of peanut butter and tomato (and one with egg as well.) Interesting flavors. Who'd have thought of pb and tomato?
Amy brought an omelet with curry sauce, and a rice dish with broccoli. Very good!
So yummy! So many flavors! I was so excited to try out each dish! And I was stuffed afterwards. Why does food make you so tired???????? I hate food coma!
We also played a game of Scene It! to keep the people awake. Hang on, Amy...
----- STATISTICS -----
People attended: 9
Time alloted: 2 hours
----- RATING ----- (out of 5 stars)
Overall Experience: 4.0
Hopefully we'll all be buying and selling our concoctions at a restaurant one day. One day the whole world will consume my Hawaiian Chicken. (Well, probably not until I modify the recipe, but...) One day.......
2 comments:
good call with the pig candy naming. and so delicious!
This was fun! Hopefully no one got sick. Scene It proved to show me how nerdy I am when it comes to Batman...but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing. ;)
Post a Comment