I plan and post an event for the week. Each event packs a creative flavor of cultural, social, and the most economical means of having fun. You decide whether you want to come along or not. Simple as that. What is the flavor of this week? Check out my posts!

Monday, June 23, 2008

Flavor of the Day - A Weekend of Beating the Heat and Heating Up the Beat

Saturday's Day of Adventure:

Breakfast at Waffle - Overall the place was reminiscent of an old-fashioned diner. I had high hopes for this place based on the orangey fun decor both inside and out. I asked our waitress if she'd prefer the Carrot Cake or Pecan Waffle. She suggested the former, so I ordered that, yet she still told the kitchen to make the latter. I was frustrated because my order came about 15 minutes later, and they seemed to rush out the meal so the waffle tasted like a soft, uncooked yet burnt piece of bread. The flavors seemed to compete with each other instead of complement each other. What made it worse was that the waitress' demeanor turned from friendly to negligent. She knew she screwed up but wasn't going to accommodate me for making me wait. Good service usually provides you with a complimentary side of potatoes or "something to eat" while waiting, not a sharing plate for food I don't really care to share. I'm not much of a bacon fan, so when she provided the plate, I took it as a slap in the face. So... when it comes down to it: bad service and overpriced for such a mediocre meal. The food made me feel queasy for a couple hours. Not returning anytime soon.

Relaxing in Malibu - We wanted to beat the heat by going to beach, and apparently all of Southern California thought the same. The drive took a couple hours due to traffic. We went to El Matador once again, and what we remember as 5 other parties there last we went, there were a couple hundred. No parking, long walk. Hot.... We found a part of the beach that provided some shade, to which I welcomed since I didn't want to burn or even tan. About 20 degrees cooler there than in the valley. I got some writing done. The others went into the water. Overall very relaxing. We also ate our Whole Foods lunch there. Fruit was perfect for the heat.

Make Music Pasadena - Deane wanted to watch the Raveonettes perform live. And Pasadena offered this free to the public which was nice, however, it was the perfect opportunity for heatstroke. And a girl next to us fainted while the crowd was building. On hot days like those, it should be advised that everyone stay indoors and find a free air-conditioned building... or they should provide free drinks for all attendees. Because that was just asking for trouble. But the band was pretty good. I was turned on to the music since Deane played their music on the drive over.


Monkeyhouse Toys - All Girls Show this time around. Lots of pieces and a variety of media and genres. Since I was there I picked up the piece I purchased from Alex and Leticia's gallery - Salvador. He was the biggest piece in their show and they reduced his price since people weren't buying him since he was so big. I was happy to have him and support my friends at the same time.


Malo - Decent Mexican food and a pleasant atmosphere. That was my second time this week going there. Went there for Bryan's Bday on Wednesday. Had good carnitas tacos and interesting ones like potato and eggplant, beef and pickle, etc. I tried the flautas this time. The chips and salsa with guac is always a win too! As for drinks... overpriced and un-yummy! Maybe that's why I gave it the "decent" grade.

Patrick's Summer Solstice Party - It was the longest day of the year and the beginning of summer, so Patrick and Thomas threw another party. They have one every year. Met a lot of fellow artists and musicians. Patrick and four of his buddies performed. Saw a lot of old faces I haven't seen since last year. Good times. Perfect for the crowd of asian women who enjoy white men and white men who enjoy a lot of asian women. Too bad I didn't get to jump in the pool.

Sunday's Evasion of Heat
Tried to take advantage of the free AC in various venues:
1. Arclight - The Incredible Hulk

2. Charcoal

3. Milk - Scrabble

No comments: