

6/8/08 - PASSAGE OF INDIA (off Burbank Blvd. near Sherman Oaks):
When you ask for spicy, they give you spicy! Always leaving restaurants disappointed that the food you asked to be spicy is actually mild? Well, search no more! When you ask for it, they'll give it to you tenfold. And while I was crying over the meal, they were tears of pain and pleasure and joy all mixed into one. We started with vegetarian samosas (you have to when eating north indian), and ordered a mango lassi and an Indian beer. Then, when our entree arrived, the real fun began! I ordered the Bhenga Bhaji (eggplant curry) spicy. And not only did my lips and face heat up, but so did the conversation. We also ordered a mixed tandoori meat plate, which was a sampler of lamb, beef, chicken, kabob. That was a nice balance with the curry. But I had to mix a lot of the rice and naan with the curry to make it edible and to cool the tummy. My stomach was on fire for the rest of the night... but it was so worth it. I ended up having to mix the leftovers with a bag of the same stuff from Trader Joe's. So good that I craved it all week.


6/14/08 - EL CHOLO, THE ORIGINAL (in K-town):
This restaurant has been in business since 1923. And I can see why the people have kept them around! You start off with the usual - chips and salsa. We ordered some fresh guacamole with ours, which happens to be the best guac I've ever tasted at a restaurant! I ordered a sampler platter called A Taste of Mexico (1996). It arrived in front of me on a giant plate: an aged cheddar enchilada, a beef rolled taco, a chile relleno, and a green corn tamale (which is by far the sweetest and best tamale I've ever tasted!) with rice and refried beans! Such a yummy treat!!! I'm definitely returning there with a larger appetite (though I think I killed it the first time with the chips.)
No comments:
Post a Comment