I plan and post an event for the week. Each event packs a creative flavor of cultural, social, and the most economical means of having fun. You decide whether you want to come along or not. Simple as that. What is the flavor of this week? Check out my posts!

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Flavor of the Day - Joshua Tree



Spent the weekend with Deane in Joshua Tree. Such a fun place! I was worried about the thunderstorms, having been warned about a tornado that hit Riverside. And some people say Global Warming doesn't exist. Anyway, we drove there straight after work. I had been wanting to take my car camping for a while, and though we didn't actually camp there, we stayed in a moderately cheap motel considering how clean and nice the rooms were.

On Saturday, we ate breakfast at the Country Cafe... hearty breakfast. We headed to the Visitor Center to get some information and maps on the park. Here are the places we hit that day:



1. Lost Horse Mine



2. Forgotten Ruins -



3. Barker Dam - Petroglyphs, Dam

4. Skull Rock - Looks like a skull. All I have to say: lame.

We ate dinner at Las Casitas since we were craving Mexican food and we both had headaches from all the walking and lack of lunch. We packed plenty of water though, and learned that once half your water is gone, it's time to turn back. Don't want to end up like a lot of folks had during the gold rush.

Sunday we contemplated the search for Carey's Castle. I was a little tired from the day before, and if it took us forever to find a place that's already marked, who knows how long it would have taken if we were to search for an unmapped location. But we did get to venture on a number of other great hikes after stopping for breakfast at Rock Hard Cafe:


1. 49 Palms Oasis -

2. Cholla Cactus Garden

3. Cottonwood Spring - My favorite tree/flower I discovered in Joshua Tree


4. Mastodon Peak - Great 360 views of the valley

Passed a bunch of the windmills on the way home.
Ate dinner near Cabazon Outlets, Pachanga Casino... at A&W which brought back a lot of childhood memories. The best root beer!

Overall we had a great trip, and I hope to return there soon for some more rock-climbing! :)

No comments: