Monkey House:



Having been to this venue a year ago for Leticia's other show, I was excited to return because I fell in love with the quirky knick knacks and toys they offer, as well as being a cozy-sized artsy space. The work that Alex and Leticia presented amazed me! Each bird seemed to have life and a story behind their eyes, and it's inspired me to create some little paper sculptures of my own! Although tempted to buy one, I refrained, but people in my party ended up buying a few things in the toystore, and a few people I had told to attend the event ended up buying one of the papery birds.
Cru:





After being swayed by the health-conscious hippies in LA, I thought to venture into a vegan's lifestyle, or at least eat the food they eat. And what made this place even more adventurous was the raw foods available. I found this restaurant on Metromix, and was pleased with my decision and their recommendation. We tried the mezze appetizer platter which consisted of cucumber tzatziki salad, Tunisian beet and apple salad, fig pate, cashew cheese, flax crackers and garlicky rubbed kale. More hearty and flavorful than I would have guessed. No one flavor overpowered another, and the combination proved that you can take a garden and just eat it raw, adding minimal ingredients to boost the taste. For entrees, others ordered the pesto wrap, chorizo sausage wrap, raw pad thai... I cheated and ordered a cooked item - the channa masala, which reminded me so much of the Indian food my ex-roomie used to cook me. It was the best entree at the table, warming my stomach and delighting my tongue with the perfection of spices for flavor. Full of protein, especially adding quinoa to substitute for rice. Quinoa is one of my new favorite foods now. For dessert we tried the chocolate cake. So rich! What was so great about this food was the fact that I didn't feel sick afterwards, or like I had a huge weight resting in my belly (as I often do after thick foods like cheese and certain carbs.) I actually FELT more healthy, which was one reason I could definitely get used to this kind of food. A great experience that I would recommend to those devout carnivores out there!
For more info, check out their website: http://crusilverlake.com/
Wax Poetic:


Valerio Ventura presented his work at Wax Poetic in Burbank. It was a unique space in that it is a beauty salon and a little art gallery space. Perfect for what Valerio was presenting - his fine art and his fashion designs. A lot of people at this scene, all very interesting folks. I tried an Elixir, which I had been wanting to try for some time now. It refreshed me. I ran into a few people from Cartoon Network that I hadn't seen in a while. That's one reason I love going to these galleries - I can see people I haven't seen in ages, and I can also meet people in similar walks of life and expand my network, which is something I've been lacking lately.
----- STATISTICS -----
People attended: 4
Time alloted: 6 hours
----- RATING ----- (out of 5 stars)
Overall Experience: 4.5
Wish you could have come! It was one of the best of the exterior events!
No comments:
Post a Comment