We drove out to Hollywood's iO West. Took forever to find parking, but we eventually found some at the Arclight Theatre parking structure. This was a fun event in that two groups of three improvisers performed. Afterwards we the audience had to choose the team that would progress to the next round. Deane's fellow improv group "Katbotz in Space" ended up winning this first round. Congrats to them; they deserved the bragging rights. They were hilarious!
----- STATISTICS -----
People attended: 4
Time alloted: 1.5 hours
----- RATING ----- (out of 5 stars)
Overall Experience: 3.5


Thursday: String Theory Concert
I had planned to attend the Taiko Drum Performance a month ago at LACMA, but I had never brought it up so another offer was made before my mouth opened. But we went to the Craft and Folk Art Museum across the street. It was my first time at this museum. They had two exhibits open to the public: Il Vetro Veneziano: Contemporary Venetian Glass and Ironings performed by Mung Lar Lam. Since my visit to Venice years ago, I have been fascinated by glass-blowing and various techniques they use in making their pieces, from the colors to the texture to the thickness to the objects themselves, functional or otherwise. And the ones in Murano are renowned for their technique. Much like the gondolier, the art of glass-making is usually handed down within the family through generations. The ironing exhibit seemed lacking, the finished products scarce. I guess Mung Lar Lam is going to make an appearance and will iron in front of everyone. I never thought of ironing as an art form, but I guess the way the cloth is creased under the heat it creates a form otherwise unable. It's like the cloth is the canvas and the iron is the paint. I visited the gift shop which seemed like a gallery of various arts and crafts. Some really cool ones from around the globe. I absorbed a few ideas we could try for my upcoming Arts and Crafts Event. I also continued with my origami craze and bought more paper for a project I want to try.
As far as the actual concert goes, I was very impressed by this giant string machine. I don't remember what they called it, but they let us give it a go after the show. Many of the instruments used in the band were: guitar, drums, violin, cello, something that looked like a sitar, saxophone, saw, and this other machine that makes spirit sounds. There were also a couple dancers for certain songs. I'm not quite sure how to categorize their music, but I enjoyed every song.
----- STATISTICS -----
People attended: 2
Time alloted: 3 hours
----- RATING ----- (out of 5 stars)
Overall Experience: 4
No comments:
Post a Comment