
This is my first event hosted at my apt. on a weekend. I enjoyed it because it helped me block off some time for myself to work on a few ideas I'd had in my head for a few months now that I want to send to magazines for publication. I was overwhelmed by the difficulty of some, but most went according to plan: crane mobile, tulip garden, and hot air balloon. Others in the works, but I either didn't have the proper supplies, or I just couldn't figure out how to piece them together.
----- STATISTICS -----
People attended: 4
Time alloted: 5 hours
----- RATING ----- (out of 5 stars)
Overall Experience: 3.5 (because of my frustration trying to figure out how to make the craft.... it worked so well in my head!)





Following this event, a few of us regrouped for an evening in Culver City. Our first stop was Royal-T. I love this space! It is a cafe, art gallery, and shop. It inspires me to want to open my own business. The waitress was super-cute, especially in the cosplay French maid outfit. I ordered the Royal-T High Tea, which came with tiny sandwiches and dessert. Tried an iced tea called Kyoto Sunset, which has some peach flavor. The hot milk tea was delicious though! Everything there is asian-inspired, and the gallery even displayed works by Murakami.

While we waited for the gallery to open, we stopped by Helms, which was famous back in the day for its bakery. We perused the aisles of various furniture markets. Didn't buy anything, but that settled my curiosity.
Next we went to the Corey Helford Gallery for Carlos Ramos' Exhibit - Natural History Museum: Part I. He had such amazing pieces! I love the style, the colors, the shapes, and the balance of each piece. Such eye candy and inspiration for some pieces I'd like to work on. We ran into quite a few familiar faces and chatted until we headed to our final destination that night...
LA Film Festival. We drove to Westwood's Majestic Crest Theatre to view their Shorts Program 5. I liked the first one and the last one. Everything in between seemed mediocre, making me wonder what other shorts were submitted to this program. It really makes me question good art, whether it be the written word or the painting on the wall or the images that appear on film. There's such an abundance of crappy work and imitation. It truly saddens me. I mean, Carlos' work was good, but when I walked down the street to another gallery opening, it looked like work from a beginning drawing class. And the films seemed the same. Some tried to be different, but they lacked a quality that good films possess - and that's a good story, in my opinion. Nevertheless, there were 2 of the 6 I did enjoy, and I guess that's better than zero. I just love being inspired, though, and when it doesn't happen... I feel let down. There you go, Rochelle, expecting these expectations.
No comments:
Post a Comment