
Our world is full of stuff, mostly stuff we don't even use anymore. We see things in stores and think that we won't be complete without them. Or, if you're like me, I see something I really like and it won't leave my mind till I "have it." And once I do have it, I don't want it anymore. And then say I give it to someone else, hoping they will like it, but they don't want it either, and stuff will keep recycling itself, but no one wants it. Thus is the story of my life because I'm a packrat in a lot of ways. I have a lot of things I've collected that I've added sentimental value to in the entire duration of my life. And I never want to get rid of anything because of it. But I do have my cleaning rants where I will get rid of things, and although my sentimental side will later say, "Why did you get rid of that, stupid! It would be worth something now!" my other side must succeed it by saying, "Did you really need all that stuff?" Thus is the normal thought of us struggling-to-not-be-messy Sagittarius.
Most people brought clothes and movies and games, which were the items that seemed to be most wanted by those who attended. A few people couldn't make it to this event, so they donated their "stuff" to me earlier in the day. Thank you to them! I cooked up some fried rice, thinking it would fit the theme perfectly since it's using up old ingredients to make a new dish. I also ordered pizza from Garlic Jim's. But the thing about this gathering which made people leave early and me tire early was the awful heat. It had been over 100 degrees that day which carried on till the late evening. Plus, there was so much "stuff" in my apartment that there really wasn't room to move. Either we need a bigger apartment or less stuff to occupy it. Maybe both.
But the evening was fun for what it was, and the rest of the stuff will be donated to Salvation Army.
----- STATISTICS -----
People attended: 10
Time alloted: 3 hours
----- RATING ----- (out of 5 stars)
Overall Experience: 3.5 (because of the limited space and the heat)
To learn more about our consumerism, visit a site called: "The Story of Stuff," and listen to a free podcast called "How stuff works." (Howstuffworks.com) Very interesting info!
No comments:
Post a Comment